"Must have's" on a Travel Nurses/Tech's resume....

Hi there, Sharon Cartwright, National Healthcare Recruiter with USSI (United Staffing Solutions, Inc.) here. Boy, that sounded awfully stiff and official! Let me start over; Hi! I'm Sharon and I'm a Recruiter. I'd like to discuss Travel Nurses' and Travel Tech's Resume's. And what we, as Recruiters, need on them in order to build your profile. Here are some things that will allow a Recruiter to better represent you and your skills:

1. Contact information at the top.
2. Name of EVERY hospital you have worked in and the dates you worked there. Agency info is not enough..hospitals don't care what agencies you have worked for, they want to know what facilities you have worked at.
3. Number of Beds at that hospital when you worked there (licensed bed counts change).
4. Number of Beds in the Unit you worked.
5. What units did you float to while there and how often?
6. Accolades - Is that hospital a Teaching Hospital? A Magnet Facility? Level I Trauma Facility?
7. What EMR or EHR did you use while there?
8. Machines and/or Procedures on the unit you used. For Example: Vents, Trachs, foley cath's, etc...
9. List special skills or skills you are proud of! For example: PICC line certified, etc...

And finally, BRAG! We want to know ALL of your achievements! For example: Daisy award nominee June, 2013 and May 2014. etc..

And, things that you are proud of. I know one PICU Traveler who has a story about a patient that inspired her on the end of her resume. I think it makes a statement and sets you apart from the rest! Food for thought....

Anyhow….Recruiter's and Nurses, I'm sure I've left something out, please feel free to add to this discussion!

Comments

• Thank you so much! As a nurse with a lot of travel, temp and per diem assignments over the years I've never been quite sure how to show them adequately on my resume. After reading your suggestions, I definitely will be revamping my resume to show the skill set I've acquired from each assignment.
  • Thank you for placing this. I have heard of having resumes a page or at times 2 max. placing all that info seems like it will be much longer, esp if you have had multiple places of employment. Do you beleive it should be no longer than a certain amount of pages? thank you for any advice.
  • That's a great question, Hollie! Actually, the rules regarding resume length do not apply when you're applying for travel nursing jobs. Many hospitals require that certain pieces of information be present on a candidate's resume in order to consider the candidate for an assignment. If the details aren't there, then the profile is rejected.

In most cases, the resume you send to the agency won't be seen by the hospital. Instead, the agency's Applicant Tracking System generates a resume that gets sent to the hospital. This resume is designed to include all the details hospitals require. And these resumes are often 10 to 15 pages long!

However, this doesn't mean that your own resume isn't useful. If you have a resume that includes all these details, then your recruiter could potentially use it to get you submitted. Or, your recruiter could enter the information into their applicant tracking system instead of having you fill out the online application. This saves you and the recruiter a ton of time. It also ensures that you get submitted quicker.

We designed the BluePipes profile to help you recognize and record all of these details. You can download or email your profile as PDF resume and full job application. There are two resume formats available. One of them is modeled after the resumes generated by agency applicant tracking systems so they'll get all the information they need. I hope this helps!
  • Great thread. There are a variety of technologies that help the agencies today and many of them accept (and encourage) the clinician's resume in raw form, and we can do the rest. A bit nerdy of input here, but it makes a difference if the agency has to re-type your resume and look up data such as beds, addresses, etc. This means you're just that much longer waiting to be submitted as time is crucial when $100+ rates are released! These are valid questions to ask; again, a bit nerdy, but it can take well over an hour or more to transcribe a resume, and if the recruiter has to look up data, plan on hours. That is an eternity when it comes to your submission!

Resume Parsers -
    If your agency uses a resume parser, they are able to take your resume and import most of the data into their system in seconds. The leading technologies out there are Sovren Resume Parser and RChilli. There are refinements and edits, of course, but this enables your recruiter to have your profile built in minutes.

Hospital Data / Analytics Provider -
    If your resume is missing beds or data on Teaching, Trauma, or Magnet facility, the recruiter could take over an hour to lookup and verify that data. Using a data provider will allow the recruiter to have this at their fingertips. These are often very expensive services, but they are wildly advantageous for the traveler. Again, a HUGE time saver, meaning your submission profile will be available to the hospital before your peers' profiles. By integrating Definitive Healthcare into our system, we only need to know the unit you worked and our system looks up the rest. Imagine a recruiter spending hours researching, or worse, calling you for that data.

With these two technologies combined, we can assemble a quality submission that looks great and submitted for more timely than most. Understand that these technologies are expensive so you will find that *most* agencies do not have them - most of the mid-sized to larger agencies do have them. Again, it is worth asking (and still super nerdy), but the outcome is that you are submitted in minutes rather than hours later.